Tuesday, May 5, 2009

WOW...Where Should I Start

My name is Monica, I'm 41 years old and I have been living with chronic pelvic pain for as far back as I can remember. I remember starting my cycle as if it happened yesterday (I was eleven) and although I don't quite remember having pelvic pain at that time, I do remember having painful cycles. And back then I just really thought that was the way it was supposed to be. So as I got older I just learned to deal with it. Initially it started with me taking a couple aspirin, then I graduated to a couple of Tylenol, then in my early 20's my GYN prescribed me Naprosen because I would complain of painful periods, then it graduated to over the counter Advil or prescribed Motrin 800mg whenever I had them. So now I'm married and trying to have kids, well after a year of trying and no conception we went to the doctor and this is where it all started. I was 23 years old at this time (yeah I know I got married young) and I went to my GYN still complaining of pelvic pain, so this is when I had my first laperscopic surgery, which is a procedure to look inside through your navel, however my doctor at the time really didn't tell me anything, which in hindsight was a good thing because it sent me packing and led me to finding one of the best doctor's in the world, Dr. Conrad Duncan. He was referred to me by someone else and prior to I had heard the name a few times, so I was like why not. Once I visited Dr. Duncan, he suggested the same thing, the laperscopic procedure to see what was going on inside. He found out that my tubes were blocked and immediately scheduled a laperotomy, now this will be surgery number three @ 24 years of age. The surgery went well, the right tube was cut, the block removed and repaired. The left tube was fine and remained in tact. And actually several weeks after the surgery an HSG test was done (I believe that's the correct term,) it's a procedure where they shoot dye up through your tubes and watch it on a monitor as it spills out to determine if the tubes are free and mine were, so at this point I was good and the surgery was a success....... I came back for my six month check-up and it was discovered at this time that I had some pre-cancerous cells, so an in-office procedure was performed where they snip a piece of the cervix off for further observation and yes, this was cause for surgery number four, now at the age of 25...........Stay tuned as I continue to chronicle my life living and dealing with chronic pelvic pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment